INTEGRATION OF FOREIGNERS
Slovenian language learning programmes, programmes for getting acquainted with Slovenian history, culture and constitutional system as well as the first free-of-charge basic level Slovenian language exam are financed by the Ministry of the Interior with the help of the European Fund for the Integration of third-country nationals. In addition to these programmes, you may also participate in other projects, programmes and workshops intended to help you with integration into Slovenian society.
Free-of-charge Slovenian language courses that also include contents on the knowledge of the Slovenian society
If you want to participate in a free-of-charge Slovenian language learning programme, that also includes the contents on the knowlede of the Slovenian society, you need to file an application for the issue of a confirmation on compliance with the conditions for participation in these programmes with the administrative unit where you registered permanent or temporary residence. If you meet the conditions, the administrative unit will issue a confirmation on compliance with the conditions for the participation in these programmes. You then bring the confirmation to the chosen programme provider.
You are entitled to free-of-charge participation in the Slovenian language learning programme and the programme for getting acquainted with Slovenian history, culture and constitutional system if you are a third-country citizen who:
- resides in the Republic of Slovenia on the basis of a permanent residence permit and his/her family members who have a temporary residence under family reunification,
- has temporary residence permit if validity of the current permit and previous temporary residence permits combined is at least 24 uninterrupted months, and his/her family members who have a temporary residence permit issued under family reunification. The 24-month validity of the permit also includes the time of residence on the basis of an application to renew or issue another temporary residence permit,
- is a family member of a Slovenian national or a citizen of an European Economic Area nad reside in Slovenia under the residence permit for the family member,
- resides in Slovenia under temporary residence permit valid for at least one year; the one-year period also includes the time form the lodging of the application for this permit.
Free-of-charge first Slovenian language exam
You can file an application for the issue of a confirmation on compliance with the conditions for the free-of-charge first Slovenian language exam at the basic level with the administrative unit where you registered permanent or temporary residence. If you meet the aforementioned conditions, the administrative unit will issue a confirmation on compliance with the conditions for the free-of-charge first Slovenian language exam at the basic level. You then bring the confirmation to one of the accredited institutions. You can take a look at the list of accredited institutions at the web page of the Centre for Slovene as a second/foreign language.
Citizens of third countries who attended a 180 or 120-hour course and were present in the course at least 80% of all the hours are entitled to the free-of-charge first Slovenian language exam at the basic level.
More information about the programs can also be viewed at e-uprava site.
Projects and programmes of integration of persons with international protection
In addition to the aforementioned programmes, the Ministry of the Interior and the European Refugee Fund provide for other projects and programmes that are primarily intended to help refugees integrate into Slovenian society. These projects and programmes are as follows:
- promotion of intercultural dialogue,
- assistance in the filed of integration,
- courses of Slovene language.
The Ministry of the Interior also prepared a brochure for foreigners in the Republic of Slovenia, which contains detailed and various information on the integration of foreigners into Slovenian society, entry and residence in the Republic of Slovenia, integration programmes and other useful information. The brochure in Slovenian is available here. There are also brochures in English, Bosnian, Albanian, Serbian, Croatian, Macedonian, French, Russian and Chinese.
The Ministry of Interior set up a web portal with a wide range of information needed by foreigners.
Internal Administrative Affairs, Migration and Naturalisation Directorate
Migration Policy and Legislation Division
T: +386 1 428 47 83